Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

PLO8 - Flopped Top Set on Low Board

Hero (covers) - The game is loose passive with most hands going 4-7-way to the flop. Hero's image is winning and one of the more aggressive players at the table.

UTG2 ($500) - Got it in earlier for several hundred preflop against Hero's aces and lost. Older recreational player who loves to talk and be in the action. Once he likes his hand, he is going strong with it. Mostly passive preflop unless dealt a premium

SB ($130) - Stuck, losing, and getting in bad mostly by calling rather than driving action.

Preflop: Hero dealt KK88hh in BB. Limps around for $5. 6way action to flop.

Flop ($30) 8c 4h 3h. UTG2 pots $30, button, SB, and Hero call.

I have the current nuts on top with a FD, but see not reason to push the action further with low hands potentially freerolling.

Turn ($150) 8c 4h 3h 9s. Checked to UTG2 who pots again $150, button folds, SB call ai for last $125. Hero calls.

Any merit to folding here knowing that UTG2 almost certainly has a made low with at least free-roll outs to a wheel and will ship his last $340 on most rivers? SB could have anything. I decided to call here getting almost 3:1, planning to check/fold wheel rivers and evaluate others. But I hated putting in 150 + another likely 340 to chase half of 275. If the SB did add his money, I think this becomes a fold heads up, right?

River ($575) 8c 4h 3h 9s Tc. Hero checks. UTG2 ships $340. Hero?

Tagged:

Comments

• Beatsme Posts: 585Subscriber
    I can't see folding this river. I like the way you played this hand. When the flop gets multiple callers I like calling and see what develops. The turn is a call imo once the button player puts his money in to. The only hand I can see loosing to is 567x... or AW67 but he also has alot of A2xx or A25 prob too. I think we call here on this river.
  • BartBart Posts: 5,819AdministratorLeadPro
    edited May 4
    I don't know how experienced you are in PLO8, but if your somewhat of a novice folding on the flop is totally fine. I would call if I had a set and the nut flush draw.

The issue here is that you already are shut out for one side of the pot. The only merit to calling is that you are getting half of the third + 4ths player's stack if you win the high and the chance that you can pot certain turn cards that get even the nut low to fold. And reviewing all of these PLO8 hands at the low stakes seems like players have a hard time even folding naked nut lows like they should and you have a bunch of short stacks in the hand.

I think the turn is definitely a fold. You are calling $150 to win half of $425.. with the possibility that you will have to call an additional $340 to win $290. So when you put those streets together you are calling $490 to win $290 if the player driving the action is competent enough to try and pot you off of your equity on the river. Now that you have gotten here you call and pray he hasn't backed into 67, J7, QJ, TT or 99. I dont think that the extra $125 from the sb on the turn (winning $67) is worth going for. Add into this equation that you also have to beat the sb for high, who is all-in as well. Bart
  • High__Rolla Posts: 765Subscriber
    Bart said:
    The issue here is that you already are shut out for one side of the pot. The only merit to calling is that you are getting half of the third + 4ths player's stack if you win the high and the chance that you can pot certain turn cards that get even the nut low to fold. And reviewing all of these PLO8 hands at the low stakes seems like players have a hard time even folding naked nut lows like they should and you have a bunch of short stacks in the hand.
    I agree - almost no players in this game are capable of folding the bare nut low, especially not the Villians in this hand. If I turned a nearly unbeatable high hand like quads, overfull, or nut flush, I would focus on trying to get multiple low hands to call rather than push them out.