Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

JCW's strat back when he played $500 cap

3aces Posts: 155Subscriber
edited April 2014 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Owais mentioned on LATB JCW's basic strategy when he used to grind the $500 cap game. I am sitting in the $500 cap game at M8trix trying to remember what it is..... Anyone remember what Owais said?

Comments

• JCW Posts: 591Subscriber
    Huh?
    Are you confusing Brian Shin for Owais? And I was talking about $200 cap games.

Right now $500 cap games I play a lot of still.

• ZeroJJ Posts: 42Subscriber
    What was your strategy for $200 cap games JCW?
    Nothing too special. Just played super-laggy with small raises pre-flop and flop. I would track my stats and play 28/24 a lot of days. Adjust if table adjusted. But most didn't.

I would raise for $10 a lot. Pot builder bets. At $1/$2 tables I would raise to $5. This includes AA.

People want to see flops, so you condition them to see them at the higher price. I know this guy who does the opposite in the $5/$5 games. He comes in and blast pots after pots. At first everyone folds. But the people who come to see flops start calling. I think his way is riskier.

Most of those tables are filled with fit and fold players. So I would build a lot of small pots and take them. And when I hit a real hand I was after stacks and not pots. My image and the bloated pots made it easier to stack guys.

It is my view that NL poker is not about winning pots but winning stacks.
  • ZeroJJ Posts: 42Subscriber
    edited April 2014
    JCW (or anyone else who would like to offer there opinion) would you mind expanding on this a little more? I assume you are raising in position with a wider range and cbetting alot of the time. I've always been more on the nitty side and am really trying to open up my game.

I don't necessarily want to be loose but I want to experience things from the other side in order to enhance my understanding of the game. So any further advice would be much appreciated. (I mostly play 1/2 and 1/3 games $100-$300 cap depending on where I play)
  • neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    I think I try to play a style close to what JCW is stating at the 1/2-1/3 game here except I limp more. I figured these guys are stations and overplay hands so overbetting value hands when the pot on the flop is like 6-10 bucks still gets called quite a bit.

I might change that and my limping range will now be a min raise range and ill cut out a limping range.
  • fogodchao Posts: 104Subscriber
    lol i think i did the same thing your buddy did in some of the nittier 1/2 games I've played. I think most of the time I probably just spewed but at the time i thought I would just profit by stealing tons of pots and then just immediately adjust when others did and go for stacks with my value hands
  • Arenzano Posts: 1,416Subscriber
    Pot sweetener raises serve to bloat the money in the middle, but it does you no good if your post flop skills are below par. If you want to "open up your game" you have to better your hand reading and post flop skill. Otherwise your are doing a slow burn of your stack. Kind of like a tire with a pin hole...
    One thing to keep in mind is that I was playing the $200 cap game a while ago. The games were somewhat different then. When I played MOST players were fit and fold. So I exploited that with my smallish value raises. Sort of like how Daniel Negreanu talks about his "Small Ball" poker. Lots of little raises.

He would describe it as a boxer that those Jab after Jab vs boxers that are looking for that knockout punch.

I still think it would work in today's games if you are selective about it. The game at LATB I was watching was a table where I would have been raising like a maniac until they adjusted. However, not everyone adjusts.
  • fishcake Posts: 1,002Subscriber
    Almost nobody really adjusts to this style of play. It's a very effective strategy to build the pot up pre flop so you can play for stacks post. The problem with limping is sometimes the players get the "there is nothing in the pot, I'll just fold" attitude, which costs you a ton of money. Contrary to most people's beliefs, there are a lot of games like this.