Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Strange line from OMC

squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 351SubscriberProfessional
edited May 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Hero has a good image and has ($1/2) table covered. Villain is a bit younger than your typical OMC but is well on his way to full blown OMC status. He has about $550 in front of him.

Hero limps with 9 7 in MP1. Cutoff makes it 8. Hero + 2 others come along. 4 way to the flop....

Flop: 7 5 3

Villain leads out of the SB for 17. Hero makes it 45. Folds around to Villain who calls.

Turn: J

Villain again leads for 45. Hero calls. Thoughts?

River 7

Villain thinks for a minute and bets 115. Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• sxz18 Posts: 345Member
    I think raising here is too thin given description of villain and folding is too nitty.
  • squishmytomatosquishmytomato Posts: 351SubscriberProfessional
    sxz18 said:
    I think raising here is too thin given description of villain and folding is too nitty.
    I ended up folding. I just couldn't come up with a hand villain was taking this line with that I beat besides like 68ss
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    I'm opening not limping

Flop is good

Turn is fine

River is a call (because a raise is too thin) but I'm never folding.
    A J comes to mind (as well as any broadway spades with a jack)
  • BartBart Posts: 5,831AdministratorLeadPro
    edited May 2016
    If you are trying to barrel the OMC off of a small overpair or a hand like A7 then you have to also raise the turn to his weak donk lead.

Him betting 45 after you raise to 45 total on the flop certainly isn't strong.

I can't fold to this small sizing on the river at this level. There is too much weird shit that can go on.

• BartBart Posts: 5,831AdministratorLeadPro
    edited May 2016
    Rocketman74 said:

A J comes to mind (as well as any broadway spades with a jack)
    A few people here on CLP have been saying that I sometimes talk too absolute in terms of ranging villains. But I would bet my left nut at 1/2 that an OMC does not bet the river with A J at the end after Hero calls his turn donk and the top flop pair now makes trips.

He's checking calling all day with that hand. Or check folding. Bart
    Bart said:
    But I would bet my left nut at 1/2 that an OMC does not bet the river with A J at the end after Hero calls his turn donk and the top flop pair now makes trips.

He's checking calling all day with that hand. Or check folding. Bart
    So you think an OMC is donking what on the turn? JJ? 55? 33? With the last two sets doesn't he just 3bet the flop?

So you just put SB on JJ and fold?

edited May 2016
    OP agrees with Bart that villain could never have A J but thinks the only hand he could possibly beat is 8 6? If 86s is in his range then, first off he's no OMC and second AJ could definitely be there.

I agree that an OMC type would most often c/c with AJ or QQ+ and this is not a fist pump call... but it's a call.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,313Subscriber
    edited May 2016
    75hh comes to mind. It is one combo here though. 76s, 74s also come to mind. I think I am calling at the latter hands out weight the single combo of a boat on the river.
    edited May 2016
    this just looks so so so much like a nutted hand to me. calling 115 to win 325, so have to be good about 26.5%.

i think we give him 2 combos 46 suited (would normally bet larger on turn). 3s, 5s, a7hh and 75hh for value. 10 value combos.

we beat ajss, 78hh, 68ss - but how often is an 70 year old omc type player playing these hands in this way?
    When did OMCs start playing all these suited gappers from the BB in raised pots?
    Rocketman74 said:
    When did OMCs start playing all these suited gappers from the BB in raised pots?
    yeah you're probably right here. but I do think he's a bit wider than normal. standard raise sizing is 6x and the cutoff make it 4x.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,000SubscriberProfessional
    Preflop is meh. I'm usually raising or folding depending on table dynamics, but in the right spot the limp is probably fine.

This feels like a "I flopped a big hand but the board is coordinated, then got raised, so let me wait for a safe turn card to bet" line from an OMC. I'm thinking he has 2P at a minimum, potentially even a set. I'm folding the river - There's no way he's betting 53 here, which is all you really beat.

I also don't particularly like your raise on the flop, either. A raise is really only trying to fold out random overcards behind. Against an OMC, I'm playing this hand pretty passively - you're not getting value from worse, and not getting better to fold.